ratio of AA-dUTP and dTTP

John Thompson jrt at home.com
Sat Jan 26 09:41:10 EST 2002

Niel,

I haven't played around with optimizing these reactions myself.  But
just winging it... Typically, modified nucleotides have a higher Km
than the natural substrate. You might have trouble getting good
extension with just aa-dUTP.  In finding the optimum ratio, you're
probably balancing the opposing goals maximizing incorporation of
aa-dUTP and poisoning the reaction.  Finally, If it's deoxy it's still
DNA, albeit with a non-natural nucleotide (dUTP).

Yours,
John Thompson
Merck Research Labs