Q: Model for perceived sound amplitude as fn of angle?

Jeff Brent lorax at acpub.duke.edu
Sun Apr 9 22:53:40 EST 1995

I'm new to this group, so forgive me if I'm barking up the wrong tree,
but I am hoping that someone here will be able to help me either with
an answer or a pointer to more information...
   I'm programming stereo sound software with the goal of making sounds
sound like they're coming from different positions in space from the
listener.  Though I know there are other contributing factors to our
perception of where a sound is located, to _start_ with, I want to
consider  the relative amplitudes received in each ear, as a function
of the 360 degrees around the listener.  (I don't know if there's any
way to simulate height...) Also, though I'm not sure I can be this
exact, the slight delay in the farthest ear.  I think I have seen some
equations for this sound placement thing; it seems that it would not be
simple geometry, since one's face shields sound coming from a side....
    If anyone has any thoughts on this, or wants to tell me I'm
thinking about it all wrong, that would be great.  Book suggestions are
great too; we've got a good library here.  I would prefer email replies
because it's easier for me to save to disk, but I'll check back here

Jeff Brent
lorax at acpub.duke.edu