Q: Model for perceived sound amplitude as fn of angle?

Jeffrey Sirianni sirianni at uts.cc.utexas.edu
Wed Apr 12 22:36:21 EST 1995

In article <3maa44$4v3 at news.duke.edu>, lorax at acpub.duke.edu (Jeff Brent) says:

>   I'm programming stereo sound software with the goal of making sounds
>sound like they're coming from different positions in space from the
>listener.  Though I know there are other contributing factors to our
>perception of where a sound is located, to _start_ with, I want to
>consider  the relative amplitudes received in each ear, as a function
>of the 360 degrees around the listener.  (I don't know if there's any
>way to simulate height...) Also, though I'm not sure I can be this
>exact, the slight delay in the farthest ear.  I think I have seen some
>equations for this sound placement thing; it seems that it would not be
>simple geometry, since one's face shields sound coming from a side....

There should be a large collection of work dealing with relative effects
of phase difference between the ears.  The MLD (masking level difference)
is one good place to start.  I'm sure there are others who are more versed
in psychoacoustics than I, so I'll let them field this question directly.

Jeff Sirianni     @(((<{
University of Texas at Austin
Communication Sciences and Disorders
CMA, 2nd Floor Clinic