Loaner/Rental hearing aids

Sally M. Whitson swhitson at OMNIFEST.UWM.EDU
Tue Aug 1 08:19:44 EST 1995

I would like to inquire about "practice standards" with regard to
loaner/rental hearing aids to be used while a patient's personal hearing aid
is being repaired.  We have always provided BTE insturments at no charge to
our patients, but currently have a two fold dilemma.  First, we have been
dispensing programmable(ReSound) products for three years and have over 300
users.  When the programmable hearing aids need repair, the users prefer a
ReSound loaner.  Unfortunately we have only a limited number of programmables
to use as loaners/demonstators.  We are considering charging a nominal rental
fee for premium programmable loaners but I am wondering what others are doing
in this regard.  Secondly, as our dispensing practice matures (now 12 years
old) we have a number of patients with ancient instruments.  The only thing
reliable about them is the number of times they are in for repair!  Of course
we repeatedly recommend replacement over repair but patients keep nursing the
old products along...and why not, their insturment breaks down, they rush over,
get a loaner that is an upgrade from their own product and the cycle continues.
To this end, I am considering a nominal rental fee for aids over 5 years old
requiring repair.  The rentals could be applied toward purchase.  My thought
is that maybe this would encourage people to replace old undependable products.
What do others think?  What are other offices doing in this regard?

Sally Whitson