Loaner/Rental hearing aids

SoundHrg soundhrg at aol.com
Thu Aug 3 07:47:19 EST 1995

Your first question about sending a 3 year old hearing aid to an AMR
facility.

Yes, in fact, I did last week.  I sent a multi-channel programmable to an
AMR facility.  I knew that all it needed was a new microphone, and I did
not have them in stock.  I sent it to my favorite facility.  He replaced
the microphone only (as requested) and sent it back.  The cost was 65%
less than the manufacturer.  I passed the savings on to the customer, and
his programming was un-affected.

Most of my repairs are done in house, and that would be comparable to an
all make repair facility.  If I can't repair it here, and know that the
AMR facility has the capability, I will request the specific repair.  If I
know the AMR facility is not capable, I send it back to the manufacturer.

Regarding the 100 year old lady you just fit.  She still has a good 7
years to get some use out of those new hearing aids.  I don't have an
argument for the person who feels she needs the new hearing aid.  But the
107 year old lady who just got used to her Acousticon, she doesn't want to
change, and prefers to stick with the old ear horn.

Finally, in response to a note telling the consumer there are used parts
in the hearing aid:  Yeah, sure, that's a good idea, but I sure hate the
idea of more government regulation.  True, we cannot ask dispensers and
audiologists to be ethical, and assume that all will be, but is more
government good?  More paperwork.

Dale