Percentage of hearing loss

David & Gwen Coffin djcoffin at LINKNET.NET
Mon Aug 7 07:52:37 EST 1995

I would like opinions regarding percentage of hearing loss.  Many of my
patients have been told by other health care providers (usually their ENT)
that they have XX% of hearing loss.  This determination appears to be based
on dB, not a formula (i.e., 50dB loss = 50% loss.)  I would like to hear how
others discuss this with their patients.

I attempt to 'convert' their hearing loss to the hearing handicap scale
(i.e., mild, moderate, etc.), but the patients often look at me as if I am
trying to hide something or go against what their physician said.

This is not a major audiology dilemma, but things seem slow on the 'net. :-)

David