Percentage of hearing loss

HearWHAC HearWHAC at
Wed Aug 9 00:37:03 EST 1995

In article <dbrown-0708952212070001 at>,
dbrown at says...

>If you are
>interested in the formula it can be found in Newby HA (1979) Audiology.

In that same book Newby makes some interesting comments about "Private
Practice Audiology." Once in awhile just for fun I reread this section of
his text. He didn't see much of a future for audiologists wanting to go into
private practice. I think he may have missed something.

In article <407vkr$1n6s at>, KVKY70A at

>it has been my
>experience that a % of hearing loss is more often misleading than not to
>the patient.

In this world there are many of us (Carl Jung thought about 70% are in this
group) who like to see things in simple number-like terms. It does make it
easier for us to hear a number - any number - to describe our hearing loss.
However, what do you say to the person I saw today who has a mild loss with
lousy discrimination in one ear and a moderately-severe loss with good
discrimination in the other ear. A number (or percentage) really wouldn't
tell the story here!

Paul :-)

I don't know the answers, I just know the questions!