LOW Pay for Audiologists!

David & Gwen Coffin djcoffin at LINKNET.NET
Tue Aug 15 07:50:34 EST 1995

As some of you may have seen me mention, for the past few months I have been
looking for a change in jobs.  I have always known that a one cannot get
rich by being a clinical audiologist.  But, it just seems that the amount of
money some employers are offering is ridiculously low!.   Last week I sent a
resume to a clinic in the San Francisco bay area.  They called me for an
interview.  I was considering it until I asked for a pay range.  They were
wanting to pay someone with their CCC $25,000, and a CFY $23,000.  You
couldn't even live on that in that area!   I am sure that they know many
CFY's will work for peanuts, just because they need the experience.  (I also
heard that they have VERY high turnover . . . I wonder why . . .)

I know that this is a simple case of supply and demand.  The supply of
audiologists is high, therefore the salaries are low.  But what can be done
about this?  I have heard people say "well, just don't take the low paying
jobs."  We cannot expect a new CFY to 'hold-out' for a high paying job when
they really aren't out there.  Are schools pumping out too many
audiologists?  Will the Au.D. really help this?

I know that there may not be answers for my questions, but I do feel better
for venting my frustrations!

David