Frequency Transposition Hearing Aids ??

Luc Chabot, by way of chollevo at pacifier.com Catherine Hollevoet ap099 at FREENET.CARLETON.CA
Thu Dec 7 23:33:51 EST 1995

The hearing aid your talking about is a TranSonic and I believe its made by
Avionics or something like that. I have all that information at my office.
We purchased one about a year ago for a high school student who has no
usable hearing above about 750Hz. The aid is about the size of a slim FM
system and can be used with ear level receivers. The mic is attached to a
cord and can be placed anywhere that sounds best to the user. Our student
was able to hear high frequency phonemes and many other sounds he had never
heard before. It was very confusing to him and he recently decided to give
it up for programable BTEs. I think the biggest problem was the size and
bulkiness. Also, there is a lot of rehab that must go with the fitting or
the person will never learn to use the sound. I personally think the sound
is very good but it does not sound like normal hearing or even a regular
hearing aid. I have a waiting list of kids who want to try this type of
hearing aid and wish I had more money (they are very expensive) to buy more
of them. If you don't get the name of the manufacturer, send me an e-mail
and I'll get it for you tomorrow.