Yawning...

Jeffrey G. Sirianni sirianni at uts.cc.utexas.edu
Thu Dec 7 23:54:23 EST 1995

In article <1995Dec6.094413.22802 at river.tay.ac.uk>, mlsb1jc2 at river.tay.ac.uk says:

>I HAVE A VERY PECULIAR HEARING PROBLEM AND ITS GETTING WORSE.  SOMETIMES I CAN
>HEAR QUITE WELL, BUT IF I YAWN OR SNEEZE OR SOMETHING I GO TOTALLY DEAF.

I believe that yawning can cause a temporary build-up of negative middle ear
pressure that can cause a reduction in hearing sensitivity.  Your eustacian
tubes should regulate the pressure back to normal within a minute or so.
Do you have any sinus or allergy problems?

>THERE IS NO HAPPY MEDIUM AND MY DR'S NO HELP. I WAS WONDERING IF THERE ARE ANY
>OTHER CASES LIKE THIS, IF SO PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT THEM. MY HEARING COMES BACK
>IF I YAWN etc AGAIN.

Have you seen an Ears/Nose/Throat physician for this or a regular MD?  You
may want to see an ENT and have tympanometric testing done.

>THANKS
>JACKIE CHALMERS
>BIOLOGY STUDENT AT UNIVERSITY OF ABERTAY DUNDEE
>SCOTLAND

Jeff Sirianni     @(((<{
University of Texas at Austin
Communication Sciences and Disorders