Deafness Due to Violence

Amethya Weaver amethyaw at escape.ca
Fri Dec 8 17:45:16 EST 1995

Hello, my name is Amethya Weaver.  I am a 30 year old woman who is oral deaf
(profoundly deaf in left ear and severe-to-profoundly deaf in right ear).  I
am also a survivor of severe childhood abuse, having suffered severe head
beatings by my father from early infancy until early twenties.  I have been
hit, kicked on my head, thrown against walls and furniture, and I have been
knocked unconscious quite a number of times.  I believe that my deafness was
due to violence (head injury or traumatic brain injury) perpetrated by my
father.

I would like to know if anyone is aware of any cases in which a child lost
her/his hearing as a result of violence, but the cause was never identified
until adulthood.  I would also be very interested in getting more info about
any literature or research that has been done on this topic.  Replies can
either be sent thru this newsgroup or my personal e mail address at:
amethyaw at escape.ca

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Amethya Weaver

amethyaw at escape.ca