Distance Cues

DanMauney at aol.com DanMauney at aol.com
Mon Dec 18 17:52:56 EST 1995

I am trying to pick up a person's voice from a microphone located about 11
inches from the mouth, off to one side.  I find that when compared to a mic
located close to the mouth, the voice sounds distant and hollow.  I have
already corrected for level and frequency response, yet there is little
improvement in the voice quality.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what may cause this effect?  What are the
primary cues for determining distance, and what makes a voice sound hollow?
 Is anyone performing research in this area?  What literature is available
that would help shed light on this problem?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dan Mauney (danmauney at aol.com)