Maybe acupuncturists right

Loren Randolph Loren.Randolph at m.cc.utah.edu
Wed Dec 27 21:43:06 EST 1995

I noted something interesting today, while sitting at my desk between
patients. I was touching my left palm with an opened pair of scissors,
and I noticed that, every time I touched the palm or fingers in two
places simultaneously with the scissors points, there seemed to be an
acoustic reflex- I could sense my eardrum move. This only happened
when I actually touched the hand, since I tried ruling out the
movement of the right hand as the cause. So I stuck a  tymp probe in
the right ear, and elicited a repeatible and very definite  (witnessed
by another audiologist) negative deflection on the bridge, Only
happened in the right ear, not a binaural thing. There have been
reports that negative deflections come from tensor vs stapedius
contractions. Wierd, huh?
Loren