NOAH and Windows 95

Peter B. Ketchum 102005.2662 at COMPUSERVE.COM
Fri Dec 29 14:34:19 EST 1995

The files PARADOX.LCK and PDOXUSRS.LCK are temporary files that are normally
present
in the \NOAH\DATABASE directory only while NOAH is running.  These files are
deleted
automatically when you exit from NOAH using the "Exit NOAH" menu item.

If these files are present when NOAH is not running, for example immediately
after you turn
on your computer, then something unexpected has occurred.  If this is happening
repeatedly,
that is an indication of something wrong in your installation.  Since you
indicated that you
are using Siemens' CONNEXX with NOAH, I will check with Siemens to see if there
is a
problem with the handshaking between CONNEXX and NOAH.

In the meantime, it may reduce your frustration to add the following line to
your
AUTOEXEC.BAT file to automatically delete any wayward .LCK files:

    if exist c:\noah\database\*.lck del c:\noah\database\*.lck

This is certainly not a final solution to your problem, but it may make life a
little easier until
we find the root cause.

I also want to respond to your other comments:

-  I agree with you that NOAH users should stay away from Windows 95.  NOAH and
the
various NOAH-compatible applications are not fully tested on W95 so HIMSA
strongly
recommends staying with "old Windows."  We will be meeting with our member
companies
in January to compare notes on this subject and to determine whether we can, as
a group,
change this recommendation.

-  I'm glad you got good advice when you called our office but alarmed at your
assessment
of your supplier's support capabilities.  HIMSA conducts a two-day "support
workshop" for
new suppliers and provides other assistance to prevent such problems.  However,
it's
obvious that we've got a problem to fix here.  Meanwhile, I hope that other NOAH
users
have found that their suppliers are well-prepared to support NOAH.  Comments
(both
positive and negative) may be addressed to our Complaint Dept; that would be me.

Peter Ketchum
HIMSA (the developers of NOAH)
Bloomington, MN
800-435-9246