Distance Cues

DPL dlight at visi.net
Fri Dec 29 06:47:54 EST 1995

DanMauney at aol.com wrote:

> reverberation because there isn't much I can do about that.  There are too
>many places in which this microphone is used and acoustic treatment is too
>expensive.  I know of no other way to filter out reverberation.  Are there
>any other possible contributors to the distant and hollow sounds?

  The "hollow sound" is definately being cause by increasing the
distance of the mic. from the sound source.  The ratio of direct
(desired sound) to indirect sound has changed.  One way to reduce the
indirect sound is to choose a mic. with a narrow pickup pattern called
hypercardioid.  Even then you may need to place a sound barrier behind
the person being recorded to keep the unwanted sound out.

DPL  (a recording eng. very interested in how ears work)