Doctoral programs...

Susan Moreland smorelan at MAGNUS.ACS.OHIO-STATE.EDU
Mon Jul 3 14:58:44 EST 1995

At 03:29 PM 7/3/95 -0400, UNCAud wrote:
>As I said in my intro, I am a second year masters student in audiology. I
>am very interested in going on to obtain my Ph.D. as I want to teach/
>conduct research. Does anyone know of any joint Ph.D./CFY programs in
>audiology. I called ASHA but they only have a listing of Ph.D. programs
>with no info on the CFY part. I have called a few programs but it gets
>awfully expensive for many long distance phone calls during the day.
>Thanks for any help anyone can give me!
>
>Jenn

ohio state university has just started offering a joint MA/PhD program
(which is, i assume, what you mean by a PhD/CFY prgram).  since it is new,
it has a few wrinkles -- perhaps the biggest one being that they do not, at
this moment, have a mechanism in place for finding students CFY placements.
however, i anticipate that this will change in the near future and i
wouldn't let that dissuade me from considering the program if i were you.
individual faculty members are very helpful to students in this area.

the PhD program is fairly loose in structure and requires students to look
outside the department for a number of their courses.  i happen to think
that's somewhat of an advantage, for there's a great deal of freedom in the
design of your chosen program.
the faculty is also strong, both clinically and psychoacoustically, and you
may choose to pursue either path or a combination of both.  i've been at OSU
for three years now and i would recommend the program to anyone.

for more information, call the departmentr at (614)292-8207.
susan
smorelan at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu

"a woman's life can really be a succession of lives, each revolving around
some emotionally compelling situation or challenge, and each marked off by
some intense experience."
                     ~ wallis simpson, duchess of windsor