Inner Ear Tubes

ANNESELTZ anneseltz at aol.com
Fri Jul 7 14:25:32 EST 1995

Has anyone advised the val salva technique for you ?  Try it. You hold
your nose shut, take a deep breath, close your mouth and try to blow--this
directs the air into your Eustachian tubes, supposedly inflating a
negative pressure area and equalizing air pressure.  People report their
ears popping.

Suggest you see an audiologist at the Bill Wilkerson Clinic in Nashville
for some competent measurements and advice about options re: hearing.
They could even let you experience more equal hearing with a hearing aid
to see if that 5 dB is important to you, in your profession.  I think it
would be important to me, especially for localization.  You need to know
if the differences between ears are across the board or just for certain
frequencies (pitches).  In the sound treated room you can experience
various localization tasks and loudness discrimination tasks to see if you
really have a problem or if you can trust your hearing.  I think you said
you were recording a 'group'--sounds like music to me which is most often
quite a bit above threshold and, therefore, the brain often equates
loudness experiences.  Try it and see.  BW is an excellent place.