Ethics and Audiology

HearWHAC HearWHAC at netins.net
Fri Jul 21 22:26:08 EST 1995

This morning one of our audiologists posed an interesting question dealing
with ethics and audiology. Apparently one of the major medical clinics in
the upper midwest fit a 3M hearing aid in March to a person who lives in
Winterset, Iowa. (Winterset is the setting for Bridges of Madison County,
both the book and the movie) Winterset is about 250 miles from the clinic,
much too far for her to drive for hearing aid service. They collected her
money, but did not complete the fitting. The shell appears to not fit
properly and the person reports they are not satisfied with the acoustical
performance of the hearing aid. Our audiologist staffs the only hearing aid
office in this small community in south-central Iowa and she is both
experienced and equipped to work with 3M hearing aids. We are a reputable
firm that has served this community for more than 47 years. Our audiologists
have many years of experience with hearing aids, are extremely competent and
have their CCCs.

This person has contacted our audiologist and asked her to complete the
fitting. WHAT SHOULD SHE DO? Interesting puzzle, isn’t it? We discussed it
at great length this morning and did reach a consensus. Before I disclose
it, I would be interested in any input persons on this forum might make.
Either post it here or e-mail me direct. Thanks.

(We frequently have persons come to us for hearing aids while they are
visiting in central Iowa. It has been our policy to extend every courtesy to
these people, even offer a hearing evaluation to determine if they would
benefit from amplification, but ALWAYS recommend they return to the
community where they live and find a local dispenser in whom they have
confidence - this is important - and purchase their hearing aid from that
person. We would consider it highly unethical to do otherwise.)

HearWHAC at netins.net