Possible permanent hearing loss from concert?

David D. Rogers drogers at primenet.com
Sun Jul 30 15:20:00 EST 1995

I went to a rock concert that took place between Thrusday night/Friday
morning. Over the various acts, I estimate the total combined length of
the music was around 3 1/2 hours, and while I don't know what the level of
intensity was, it was louder than any concert I've been to in recent
memory. (Along with that, I was also within 15-25 feet away from the
speakers towards the final act.)

Through most of Friday, not only could I hear less in volume (sounds had
to be louder for me to hear them, including normal conversation), but the
tone was off as well (the sounds I was hearing sounded as though they were
coming from a cheap audio system). I'm typing this on Sunday afternoon,
and while the hearing in my right ear has almost returned to normal, the
hearing in my left ear is still considerably off (especially in regards to
the precieved tonal quality, in comparrison to the right ear). I am still
occasionally hearing a ringing in my left ear.

Is this account consistant with permanant hearing loss, and is there a
chance that most or all of my previous hearing range will be recovered? I
forgot to bring ear plugs to a concert, and I would hate to have permanat
hearing loss due to attending just one concert. Should I also contact the
concert hall to see if they have any statistics as to how loud the concert
was?

BTW, I would appreciate private email replies as well as replies to the
newsgroups, as I do not normally check the newsgroups I have posted to.

Peace,

<> David

"We have a Department of Defense, they're to make war.  We have an
 intelligence community to produce secrets- I'm sorry, to gather secrets."
--CIA Director John Deutch, speaking freely at his recent college reunion