Sound Cancellation Techology

D.J.E Nunn d.j.e.nunn at durham.ac.uk
Mon Jun 12 12:02:37 EST 1995

In article <D9zMH6.2tr at freenet.carleton.ca>, ac191 at FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Peter Wray) writes:
|> I am not sure if this is an appropriate post, but I am truly desperate.
|>
|> I have been trying to deal with loud stereo noise from my neighbour for
|> the past six years (yup you read that right - SIX YEARS!).
|>
|> I have heard that there is some technology available that measures an
|> incoming sound and emits an equal and opposit sound.  this is intended to
|> cancel each other out.
|>
|> Is this possible and reasonable?
|>
|> Can anyone provid me with a posible source?
|>
|> 	Thanks
|> 		Peter Wray

This subject is known as "Active Noise Control", and I know that
there's a FAQ *somewhere*, possibly on alt.sci.physics.acoustics
or comp.dsp, and probably on news.answers. Otherwise, try searching
with archie.

I suspect it won't help in your case - you'd maybe have to measure the
sound at your ears, and replay it there too. But I could be wrong.
Otherwise, move house, dispose of your neighbour, or put a dozen carpets
on the wall.