Surgically inflicted tinnitus

Matthew S. Staben mstaben at umich.edu
Mon Jun 19 10:12:59 EST 1995

twday at netcom.com (Tom Day) wrote:

>Last year I had nasal reconstructive surgery.
>A few weeks after the surgery, a vein deep
>in my sinus cavity burst and an inflatable catheter was inserted
>deep into my right nostril to stop the bleeding.  Within a few hours
>I returned to the emergency room because I felt tremendous pressure
>building up in my right ear.  My surgeon discounted the pressure and
>pain and the catheter was left in place.  By the next morning, my
>ear was loudly ringing and was nearly deaf.  The catheter was slightly
>deflated at that point and the pressure relaxed over the next few
>days.  A week later it was removed and I complained of the tinnitus
>and loss of hearing.  I was tested and discovered to have experienced
>severe hearing loss in the right ear.

I'd sue the bastards for all they're worth.  It appears you did the
right thing by showing up and complaining; and the surgeon did the
wrong thing by discounting pain and pressure.  Malpractice is what I
call it.

>I am a musician.  Under no circumstances, would I have submitted to
>an operation that could destroy my hearing.

All the more reason to sue.  The fact that the whole procedure was
unsuccessful (it should have been) shows the ineptness of the surgeon
and the attractiveness of the lawsuit.

Matt