Recommendations for Shooters?

David Basiji basiji at u.washington.edu
Wed Mar 1 11:15:49 EST 1995

Over in rec.guns, there's been some discussion of the
most effective forms of hearing protection. The general
consensus is that people either wear a combination of
closed-cell foam plugs (e.g. EAR, about 29 dB attenuation)
and muffs (usually about 25 dB attenuation), or a set
of heavy muffs with electronically limited built-in
microphones to cut off any sound over 80 dB or so.
The theory is that the plugs stop air conduction while the
muffs help with bone conduction. The problem is, nobody really
has a good quantitative estimate of how effective these
methods are because the industry apparently doesn't use
impulse noise to test their products.

Does anyone out there work in impulse noise attenuation?
I assume that the weighted average method of measuring
attenuation is also a rough guide to effectiveness with
impulse noise, but are there any gotchas I should know about?
Any insight you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,
David Basiji
UW Bioengineering