Testing my ears?

Larry Hatmaker larryhat at oregon.uoregon.edu
Thu Mar 2 07:03:12 EST 1995

In article <3j4n89$r2u at spruce.cic.net>, jsa000 at colum.edu (James Addie) wrote:

>Spotted this group and though I'm not an audiologist, I am an audio 
>engineer.  I've wondered for a long time where to go to get my hearing 
>tested and end up with a better profile of my hearing than the usual 
>screening type of test i.e. mid-band tones at low level.  I'm interested 
>in 'frequency response' of my hearing.  I have 'tested' my own ears for 
>years using uncalibrated equipment like HiFi headphones and tone 
>generators.  Now that I'm 40, I've noticed the predicted loss of HF 
>response, but again since I have no reference (nor have I been able to 
>use the same equipment over the years) I have no way of charting the 
>loss.  I realize 40 is a bit late to start this, but I'd really like to 
>know what's happening with annual tests.
>Where do I go for quality high resolution detailed testing, and how (if 
>possible) could this be done for free, like for a university project or 
>the like?  I'd pay for it too, but my insurance will not cover it, so 
>it's on me totally. 
>Appreciating your professional responses...Thank You.
>Jim Addie                       "Snakes!  Why did it have to be snakes?"
>AddieTech, Inc.                 "Asps. Very dangerous.  You go first..."

I would try your Speech Pathology/Audiology department (Communication Disorders) on campus. They usually have a low-cost hearing test and would probably know if there is anything else available in your area. You'd probably have to find a very specialized tester, though, as most of the Aud equipment is calibrated/ designed for the speech frequency range (250 to 8000 Hz). Not sure anyone would have Hearing Level calibrated outputs for ranges beyond that (HL is calibrated differently than Sound Output Levels).


Larry Hatmaker
Center for Electronic Studying

More information about the Audiolog mailing list