Testing my ears?

James Addie jsa000 at colum.edu
Thu Mar 2 10:12:09 EST 1995

Spotted this group and though I'm not an audiologist, I am an audio 
engineer.  I've wondered for a long time where to go to get my hearing 
tested and end up with a better profile of my hearing than the usual 
screening type of test i.e. mid-band tones at low level.  I'm interested 
in 'frequency response' of my hearing.  I have 'tested' my own ears for 
years using uncalibrated equipment like HiFi headphones and tone 
generators.  Now that I'm 40, I've noticed the predicted loss of HF 
response, but again since I have no reference (nor have I been able to 
use the same equipment over the years) I have no way of charting the 
loss.  I realize 40 is a bit late to start this, but I'd really like to 
know what's happening with annual tests.

Where do I go for quality high resolution detailed testing, and how (if 
possible) could this be done for free, like for a university project or 
the like?  I'd pay for it too, but my insurance will not cover it, so 
it's on me totally. 

Appreciating your professional responses...Thank You.

Jim Addie         		"Snakes!  Why did it have to be snakes?"
AddieTech, Inc.			"Asps. Very dangerous.  You go first..."

More information about the Audiolog mailing list