Testing my ears?

James Addie jsa000 at colum.edu
Thu Mar 2 10:12:09 EST 1995

Spotted this group and though I'm not an audiologist, I am an audio
engineer.  I've wondered for a long time where to go to get my hearing
tested and end up with a better profile of my hearing than the usual
screening type of test i.e. mid-band tones at low level.  I'm interested
in 'frequency response' of my hearing.  I have 'tested' my own ears for
years using uncalibrated equipment like HiFi headphones and tone
generators.  Now that I'm 40, I've noticed the predicted loss of HF
response, but again since I have no reference (nor have I been able to
use the same equipment over the years) I have no way of charting the
loss.  I realize 40 is a bit late to start this, but I'd really like to
know what's happening with annual tests.

Where do I go for quality high resolution detailed testing, and how (if
possible) could this be done for free, like for a university project or
the like?  I'd pay for it too, but my insurance will not cover it, so
it's on me totally.

Appreciating your professional responses...Thank You.

--
Jim Addie         		"Snakes!  Why did it have to be snakes?"
AddieTech, Inc.			"Asps. Very dangerous.  You go first..."