Audiology as a Career

joyce at bilbo.bio.purdue.edu joyce at bilbo.bio.purdue.edu
Tue May 16 09:05:03 EST 1995

I realize this newsgroup may have posting rules I am unaware of
so please forgive me if I'm posting an "illegal" message.

I am considering entering a Masters program in SLP/Audiology
and need some input on Audiology. So far I have only met SLPs
and am wondering if Audiology might be more appropriate for me
as a career. Unfortunately all I hear from SLP's is that
Audiology is "alot like optometry" and that it struck them as
basically like being a "technician". I have not been able to
find a local audiologist that is available to talk with me.

Why did you go into audiology? Why does a Masters degree make
sense for it? Do you feel like a "technician" (inother words
"Are you bored?") Are the career prospects as good as I hear
they are for Speech Pathology?

I appreciate any input anyone can give me.I feel like Audiology
been given the short end of the stick and would like to make
a better informed decision.

On a second note, does anyone know of a www page or bbs for
Asha?