bicros hearing aids

Jeffrey G. Sirianni sirianni at uts.cc.utexas.edu
Fri Nov 10 20:44:09 EST 1995

In article <480bfp$bk8 at hollywood.cinenet.net>, erc at cinenet.net (Eric Smith) says:

>The way I understand it, bicros hearing aids use each other's
>microphones instead of their own.  Is that all that's meant
>by bicros?  Is the only purpose to reduce feedback?  Are there
>a lot of hearing aids that can be configured that way?

BiCROS hearing aids are used by patients with one aidable ear and one
unaidable ear.  The unaidable ear has a unit with a microphone only.
The signal from this microphone is transmitted to the unit on the aidable
ear.  The aidable ear also has a microphone along with a receiever.  The
signal from the unaidable ear is mixed with the signal from the aidable
ear so that sounds originating on the side of the unaidable ear can be
heard without headshadow effects.

Jeff Sirianni     @(((<{
University of Texas at Austin
Communication Sciences and Disorders