bicros hearing aids

Jeffrey G. Sirianni sirianni at UTS.CC.UTEXAS.EDU
Thu Nov 16 21:53:43 EST 1995

Tim Lippold <timhear at uscyber.com> wrote:

>Why all the talk about CROS anyway? Joe Barry (Harford and Barry, 1959)
>of the original CROS article once told me when I was a student, "those
>things never did work". Just fit the aided side and have a lot less
>trouble.

It is simply a patient's subjective preference to receive undistorted
information from the side of the unaidable ear.  Without the transmitter
side (like with a monaural fitting), speech originating on the unaided side
becomes distorted by the head shadow effect on high frequencies.  Consonant
information is smeared.  I tell my BiCROS hearing aid patients to try using
the system without the transmitter side turned on, then try with it on.  If
they like the transmitter on better than without, then their decision is
made.  If they receive no benefit, then we move to a traditional monaural
fitting.

Bi-CROS fitting is very different than CROS fitting.  In Bi-CROS you have
someone who needs amplification in their aidable ear.  With CROS, the person
has an ear with normal hearing sensitivity and the addition of a routed
signal from the bad side may not be perceived as helpful.

Jeff
* Jeff Sirianni                        *
* University of Texas at Austin        *
* Communication Sciences and Disorders *
* sirianni at uts.cc.utexas.edu           *
* jgsaudio at aol.com                     *