Hearing...

Jeffrey G. Sirianni sirianni at UTS.CC.UTEXAS.EDU
Thu Nov 16 21:53:46 EST 1995

>>What is interesting is that she says she does not really notice any
>>change in her hearing.... If she basically grew up with such a loss,
>>does anyone have any comments on why she does not notice much of a >>change...

>This could happen if the hearing is improved in the previously poorer ear.
>People who are strongly monaural, possibly through long use of a single
>ear, may not readily appreciate any improvement in their everyday hearing
>through impovement of the hearing levels of their previously poorer ear.

Her poorer ear was 20 dB poorer than the better ear at 500 Hz and it is now
20 dB better than the previously better ear (which is now the poorer ear).

>My opinion is that it depends very much on how strong the dominant ear
>effect is for the individual.   It may be possible to trace a developing
>binaural effect for this woman as she gets more experience with her new
>hearing, or the dominant effect could switch to her now better ear and
>leave her feeling that her previously better and dominant ear is "deaf".

That makes some sense... I will ask her at her next appointment...  I guess
my hope is that she will want tympanoplasty in her poorer ear which was
previously her better ear.  But the problem is that she may not want to have
this done since she has not "noticed" much of a change.  She risks continued
ME infections due to her perforation....

>It wold be interesting to follow her over time.

I will do that and keep the group posted...

>Richard Bishop

Jeff
* Jeff Sirianni                        *
* University of Texas at Austin        *
* Communication Sciences and Disorders *
* sirianni at uts.cc.utexas.edu           *
* jgsaudio at aol.com                     *