Bundling Hearing Prices

Michael W. Ridenhour gandalf at infi.net
Wed Oct 25 16:43:58 EST 1995

hilecki at aol.com (Hilecki) wrote:

> We are thinking about bundling the cost of professional services with the
> cost of the hearing aid(s). Any thoughts out there re the wisdom of such
> an act? What about also including the cost of the audiometric evaluation?

I have had as a rule in my practice that bundling is the way to go. I do not feel like a
heel when I have to explain to patients that, "No, the hearing test is
$50 extra, and the fitting $150, and of course, the extra pack of
batteries is $5." When the patient calls M. Ear or B-tone, they are given the excuse
that the Audiologist will try to add all kinds of charges to your bill,
so this hearing aid is actually cheaper. I have obviated this excuse by
bundling. If, on the other hand, someone wants just a screening or an
audiogram or cerumen removal or whatever as a separate item at one visit,
I of course, charge a unit price,i.e. $25 cerumen removal, etc.
Michael Ridenhour