Teachers of Hearing Impaired

Sally M. Whitson swhitson at OMNIFEST.UWM.EDU
Mon Oct 30 06:47:01 EST 1995

One of my patients is a young profoundly deaf kindergardener who attends a
mainstreamed elementary school.  In fact, she is the only hearing impaired
child in the entire school district.  The school district hires a teacher of
the hearing impaired to work with her.  Unfortunately, each year the person
holding that position changes.  I was asked if I would know of any information
that defines the "scope of practice" for a teacher of the hearing impaired.
At issue this year is what duties and responsibilities the hearing impaired
teacher can execute.  I do not have any resources of this type and my attempts
to find such info via webcrawler have not met with success.  If anyone has
references etc that could help in this capacity please let me know.  Thanks

Sally H. Whitson, M.S., CCC\A
Director of Hearing Services
Milwaukee Medical Clinic