Teachers of Hearing Impaired

susan moreland smorelan at MAGNUS.ACS.OHIO-STATE.EDU
Mon Oct 30 09:08:09 EST 1995

>One of my patients is a young profoundly deaf kindergardener who attends a
>mainstreamed elementary school.  In fact, she is the only hearing impaired
>child in the entire school district.  The school district hires a teacher of
>the hearing impaired to work with her.  Unfortunately, each year the person
>holding that position changes.  I was asked if I would know of any information
>that defines the "scope of practice" for a teacher of the hearing impaired.
>At issue this year is what duties and responsibilities the hearing impaired
>teacher can execute.  I do not have any resources of this type and my attempts
>to find such info via webcrawler have not met with success.  If anyone has
>references etc that could help in this capacity please let me know.  Thanks
>

>Sally H. Whitson, M.S., CCC\A
>Director of Hearing Services
>Milwaukee Medical Clinic

this information is probably quite out-of-date since it comes from the time
when i majored as an undergrad in deaf education back in the early 80's.
but what we were expected to do as teachers was to trouble-shoot hearing aid
and trainer problems each day, do some rudimentary aural rehab training, and
work some on speech and language skills.  in other words, we were expected
to be the jack/jill of all trades, but master of none.  for the more
in-depth issues (like assessing hearing, for example) we always called in
the big guns (the audiologist).
susan

we stroll together silently,
just the two of us -- my wolf and me...