Teachers of Hearing Impaired

Catherine Hollevoet chollevo at PACIFIER.COM
Tue Oct 31 00:38:18 EST 1995

I believe the "scope of practice" varies with state and even school
districts. As an audiologist, I work in many school districts and the
teachers of the hearing impaired have different responsibilities in each
setting. For example, our itinerent teacher does academic assessment,
direct aural rehab and educational planning, regular hearing aid analysis
and trouble shooting, training with regular classroom teachers, sign
language classes and even takes impressions for earmolds when necessary and
she does this in several districts over a wide geographical area on a
weekly basis. She is really quite good and we all appreciate her talents.
On the other hand, one of the larger districts I work in has several
teachers of the hearing impaired who only work as direct service providers
and do not check aids or do earmolds, etc. I think it also depends on the
person's background and training. There are ofcourse minimum requirements
for getting certification as a teacher of the hearing impaired but beyond
that necessity seems to dictate the job. I'm sure different states have
different requirements.