presence of otoacoustic emissions in profoundly deaf child (fwd)

Jeff Sirianni sirianni at UTS.CC.UTEXAS.EDU
Thu Sep 14 23:07:22 EST 1995

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 1995 13:38:39 -0500 (CDT)
From: Allison M. Scott <ascott at mail.coin.missouri.edu>
To: sirianni at uts.cc.utexas.edu
Subject: presence of otoacoustic emissions in profoundly deaf child

	I recently learned about a 16-month-old girl who was unresponsive
to sounds during behavioral testing and whose ABR only had a recordable
wave I at high intensity levels.  Even though she is profoundly deaf she
has recordable otoacoustic emissions.  This suggests that her cochlea is
normal and the problem lies within the central auditory system.  A
tactaid seems to be the only type of assistive device that may aid her in
developing an awareness of sounds.
	Has anybody else heard of a similar case?  Are there any other
devices that may aid this girl in developing sound awareness?  Could a
cochlea with measurable OAEs be abnormal?