presence of otoacoustic emissions in profoundly deaf child (fwd)

Kelley Mascher mascher at u.washington.edu
Fri Sep 15 17:47:23 EST 1995

Without seeing the emission recording it is hard to make any judgement.
Several people over the years have shown me emissions in an otherwise
deaf child. In all cases there was as a problem in the recording.

If you record emissions ( DPs especially ) at too high a stimulus level,
you will get a response. This is the distortion from the driver overloading.
The individual ear canal will have some effect on the overload point. As
a result, I believe, you cam never draw a conclusion from a DP recorded at
a single level. Transient emission are a little more forgiving in this
respect but if you question the results at a high level, test at a
lower level to confirm them.

We have seen children who have emissions and no ABR. They have
always had some additional neuological involvement. Is this a possibility
in your case?

To return to my initial comment, if I were you I would want to know as
much as possible about the circumstances of the emission recording.

Kelley Mascher                                            (206) 528-2713
Children's Hospital & Med. Center               mascher at u.washington.edu
Audiology Research

--
Kelley Mascher                                            (206) 528-2713
Children's Hospital & Med. Center               mascher at u.washington.edu
Audiology Research