presence of otoacoustic emissions in profoundly deaf child (fwd)

David K. Brown dbrown at haircell.ear.ucalgary.ca
Fri Sep 15 15:52:09 EST 1995

In article <Pine.OSF.3.91.950914230418.6892C-100000 at curly.cc.utexas.edu>,
sirianni at UTS.CC.UTEXAS.EDU (Jeff Sirianni) wrote:

> [...]

To date I have found three such cases, each one with different situations
and etiologoies.  The question they came with was why are they rejecting
their amplification and why does it not appear to help?  When emissions
were shown to be present we removed their amplification.  The Tactaid
sounds like an interesting way to go, let us know what happens.  It is
possible that a cochlea with measurable OAEs could be abnormal, Takeno et
al. (1994) using carboplatinum was able to destroy the IHC in chinchillas
but leave the OHC intact.  They found that AP thresholds were elevated
where there was IHC damage but that cochlear microphonic thresholds were
close to normal corresponding to the preservation of OHC.  This suggests
that OAEs may still be present but the cochlea would surely be damaged.
The OAE portion has not yet been proven but based on their findings it
might be possible. (Sounds like a possible thesis topic to me!).
David Brown