presence of otoacoustic emissions in profoundly deaf child (fwd)

Jeffrey Sirianni sirianni at
Sat Sep 16 09:05:56 EST 1995

In article <43cvpr$55e at>, mascher at (Kelley Mascher) says:
>Without seeing the emission recording it is hard to make any judgement.
>Several people over the years have shown me emissions in an otherwise
>deaf child. In all cases there was as a problem in the recording.
>If you record emissions ( DPs especially ) at too high a stimulus level,
>you will get a response. This is the distortion from the driver overloading.
>The individual ear canal will have some effect on the overload point. As
>a result, I believe, you cam never draw a conclusion from a DP recorded at
>a single level. Transient emission are a little more forgiving in this
>respect but if you question the results at a high level, test at a
>lower level to confirm them.

>To return to my initial comment, if I were you I would want to know as
>much as possible about the circumstances of the emission recording.

To Kelly : If this is the case, would it be practical to test one's equipment
in a calibration chamber (i.e. 2 cc) to see if acoustic DP's arise due to
transducer overload?  I understand that in a 16-month old one would want a
smaller chamber...

Thanks go to Allison Scott for bringing up this topic....

Jeff Sirianni     @(((<{
University of Texas at Austin
Communication Sciences and Disorders
CMA, 2nd Floor Clinic