Audiogram defects (was Re: Cochlea -- quality of filtering)

BJPARKER bjparker at aol.com
Sun Sep 24 00:04:29 EST 1995

All the discussion about "critical bands" is great, but let's not forget
it is only a theory -  a model of the auditory system.  It is a good way
to describe many characteristics of auditory processing but it is in no
way complete.  The work by Kolarauch (' 90s) in off-frequency hearing is a
perfect example of where critical band theory fails.  There is also a
great article by Hall and Grose (JSHR, late 80's) showing the way we have
measured frequency selectivity effects our estimates.  Also, if you
include binaural processing there are many other factors to consider. A
study by Parker (1991) and another by Parker and Small (submitted JSHR)
show that, in the older population, although word recognition may be
decreased, binaural frequency selectivity stays equal to that of young
listeners (hearing level was a controled factor).

I think it was a great question posed to the group - and a good follow-up
question. Current data suggests the auditory system is capable of high
tuning or frequency selectivity - what we need to answer now is which
mechanisims are essential for that tuning and what role does the central
system play?!?!?

Just dropping in my 2 cents ...

Barbara