Info Request: History of Dictograph Products Corp?

admin at SCONCEPT.COM admin at SCONCEPT.COM
Sat Sep 23 19:56:45 EST 1995

One of our users from The Netherlands has asked me to post this for him.
(I edited the translation, and got approval for this version.)

Christine Tlougan            admin at sconcept.com
Hearing Exchange Online      http://www.sconcept.com/hearing.html

Hello!

Acousticon Audiciens is in the process of putting together a special
edition book about the 75 year history of our company. However, we don't
have much information about our parent company, Dictograph Products
Inc., or their products.

If you have any information about the origins of the Acousticon hearing
aid, or about Dictograph Products Inc., we would appreciate hearing from
you. (Addresses are at the bottom of the page.)

What we have so far:

Dictograph Products Corporation (aka Dictograph Products Inc.)

Dictograph Products Corporation (DPC) existed in America by early 1900.
Until World War II, DPC was an important producer and supplier of
hearing aids in Europe under the trade name "Acousticon". These hearing
aids also were sold under license around the world.

Along with hearing aids, DPC also produced dictographs (home telephone
installations) and radio products.

In Europe, several companies such as Oticon in Denmark, and A&M in
England, spun off from DPC. In the Netherlands, Acousticon is now an
organization of 20 shops specializing in hearing aids.

One of the things we know about DPC's past is that Queen Alexandra
wore an Acousticon hearing aid at her coronation in London in 1901.

In Europe, little is known about DPC. We have information which states
that the general offices were established at 220 West 42nd Street,
New York City in 1925. By 1945, they had moved to 580 Fifth Avenue,
New York 19, New York.

As of 1925, other offices were located in Boston, Philadelphia,
Pittsburg, Detroit, Chicago, Kansas City, and San Francisco. In 1945,
the factory was listed at 95-25 149th Street, Jamaica, New York.

A.R. Beem                             arnoud at euronet.nl
Acousticon Audiciens
Leigraafseweg 8
6983 BP Doesburg             [B
The Netherlands

Thank you for your time, and assistance!