Audiogram defects (was Re: Cochlea -- quality of filtering)

Jeffrey Sirianni sirianni at uts.cc.utexas.edu
Mon Sep 25 00:52:14 EST 1995

In article <199509241424.KAA25640 at bottom.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>, smorelan at MAGNUS.ACS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (susan moreland) says:

Barbara Parker writes:
>>I think it was a great question posed to the group - and a good follow-up
>>question. Current data suggests the auditory system is capable of high
>>tuning or frequency selectivity - what we need to answer now is which
>>mechanisims are essential for that tuning and what role does the central
>>system play?!?!?
>>
>ahhh, *that's* the $64,000 question!

By studying the cellular mechanisms in secondary and tertiary neurons, we can
better understand how the auditory system can remain finely tuned even at high
stimulus levels.  This is what I was getting at when I initially responded to
the question that was posed.  No one would argue that hair cells and auditory
nerve fibers are sharply tuned at low intensity levels, but we know that we can
excite such cells at a frequency well off characteristic frequency when we make
the intensity loud enough.  But we know that even though a cell may respond to
a stimulus well of CF, we do not necessarily percieve a sound with a pitch at
CF due to inhibitory mechanisms in neurons from the cochlear nucleus and up.

Jeff Sirianni     @(((<{
University of Texas at Austin
Communication Sciences and Disorders
CMA, 2nd Floor Clinic