CMV and SNHL ????

Chf seat chfseat at aol.com
Mon Sep 25 21:03:34 EST 1995

How common is hearing loss in children diagnosed with congenital
cytomegalovirus ?  I recently conducted an ABR  on a three year old with
congenital CMV with no replicable responses AU at any level.  I was
wondering how common this finding is...   Any information on CMV and
hearing loss would be helpful to the group.  This blurb is taken from
another newsgroup post:

<CMV is a viral disease which can be contracted prenatally.  It is related
the herpes virus and is passes from the mother's bloodstream.  It is a
common
virus and the mother may not have shown any symptoms.  CMV has a high
mortality rate and 90% of the survivors have some type of disorders, such
as
mental retardation, blindness, and hearing impairment.  The hearing
impairment can be any degree of hearing loss.  The baby is highly
contageous
for up to three years.  The virus is transmitted through all body fluids
(blood, saliva, tears, etc.)>