CMV and SNHL ????

Dawna Lewis LEWIS at BoysTown.ORG
Thu Sep 28 14:11:27 EST 1995

At our facility, which serves primarily a pediatric population, we have a
number of children with hearing loss for whom CMV is the primary diagnosis.
There are a number of articles in journals across a variety of disciplines that
address hearing loss with this population.  A medsearch should yield quite a
few of them.  Also, I know there is a group at the University of Alabama,
Birmingham, which has done a lot of work in this area.  I think the source
there would be the Dept. of Pediatrics.  There is a group at Children's
Hospital in St. Paul, MN, that is involved in CMV clinical and research
programs and has produced a number of brochures on the topic (612-298-8835).

There was a brief article in "Hearing Instruments" in 1991 (vol 42, 20-22) by
Johnson et al., that discussed CMV generally and provided a long list of
references.  From that article
"Transmission of the virus from mother to fetus
in a primary infection occurs in approximately 30-40% of the cases;
transmission in recurrent infection occurs in approximately 0.5-1.4% of cases.
Neonates who are symptomatic at birth are likely born to mothers who experienced
primary infection during pregnancy.  Data are accumulating, however, which
suggest that asymptomatic infants with long-term sequelae, such as hearing
loss, may be born to mothers with either primary or recurrent CMV infection
during pregnancy."
 "Sensorineural hearing loss and mental retardation occur in
about half of symptomatic infants."
  "Available reports suggest that 15% of asymptomatic neonates will have sensorineural hearing loss..."

        It often is difficult to diagnose CMV as the cause of hearing loss
unless testing is done early in life because CMV is so prevalent that most
children will be exposed early in life.  Additional testing often is
recommended by medical/genetics teams if CMV is being considered.

        Hope this is helpful.

Dawna E. Lewis			e-mail address: lewis at boystown.org
Clinical Audiologist
Boys Town Natl. Res. Hospital		phone:  402-498-6607
555 N. 30th Street			fax:  402-498-6638
Omaha, NE  68131