Dental "deafness"?

Lois J Barin lbarin at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Wed Apr 17 17:31:48 EST 1996

Greetings all!

Maybe this question would be better posted to a "dental" newsgroup, but I
thought I'd try my fellow audiologists first.

Has anyone ever heard of a patient losing hearing when administered dental
anesthesia?  This is a unilateral loss, affecting the side where a mandibular
block is used (lower jaw), that recovers as the anesthesia wears off.

There is no mention in "the literature" about this phenomenon that I can find,
but the dentist says he has heard of it happening before.

Anyone?

Lois Barin, BS, MA, "watch this space"