How did you rate the AAA Meeting in SLC?

Alan Sias arsias at cyberport.net
Thu Apr 25 16:08:57 EST 1996

My wife asked me the same question as we were driving home.  This was my
first one and I have been trying to figure out how to say what I
thought.  I think I have figured it out, and I think I may just tick a
few people off by saying it.  But hear it goes (once I decide to step in
it, I usually do a good job.):

My first impression was WOW!  Who knew that there were so many of us out
there?  I guess you could say that the fact that I'm up here in
Smallville, Montana has taken it's toll....

My second and lasting impression was less than positive.  It started
with noticing the "no entitlement buttons," then being handed a sheet
that spewed the follies of entitlement.  I have four children the oldest
of whom is seven.  Even he wouldn't pull such childish stunts.  I
couldn't believe it.  Still can't.

What are we working for here?  Aren't we all SUPPOSED to be a
PROFESSIONAL group?  Hmmmmmm....  I was asked several times what I
thought af all the hoopla regarding entitlement/AU.D. and I tried very
hard to keep my opinions to myself because I felt that I needed to
research the topic a little more.  I DO NOT want to alienate any one in
the field.  We have a need to be a UNIFIED profession.

I am extremely frustratred.  I would like to be able to say that I came
away from AAA with positive feelings about the profession.  The attitude
that I got from the individuals there stunk.  Now, I am not saying that
we have to keep quiet if we don't all agree, nor am I saying that we
need all agree.  Disagreement is GOOD.  It's just how we deal with it
that makes the difference.

I have decided (much to my wife's dismay) that I am going to try to get
involved in the "game."  I am not happy with the way things appear to be
going.  I was always told that if I didn't like it, change it.  I am
serving notice.  It may take me a little time, because I want to come in
informed, but I will be there.

Kind of scary, huh?  Brrrrrr.....!
--
Alan Sias, M.A. - CF/A
The Hearing Clinic of Kalispell

May God grant us the wisdom to discover the right, the will
to choose it, and the strength to make it endure. - King Arthur