HCFA Audiology Regulation

George Cire gcire at icsi.net
Mon Apr 29 21:12:26 EST 1996

higgins at dedot.comdedot.com (Gary Gams) wrote:

>What scares you???The fact that I received additional training to better care for my patients...You might check
>Delks dictionary, but it means I'm schooled in the science of testing and fitting of hearing instruments...Many
>of the writers of Audiology books teach this course...I don't believe only Audiologists should fit hearing
>instruments, but I believe we need to upgrade the educational requirements of Dispensers...Remember the field
>was built by Dispensers...In Europe Audioprosthologists fit most instruments although their program is much
>more intense than ours at this time...GG

I don't want to flame you.  However it is my opinion that the title of
Audioprosthology just futher confuses the hearing impaired consumer.
You are to be commended in you effort to seek additional training to
better serve your patients, it's just a shame that you didn't study
for an Audiology degree.  The Audioprosthology credential is a far cry
from the European system of Hearing Aid Acousticians.  I agree that
there is enough business to go around and I welcome competition from
hearing aid dispensers but lets don't confuse the consumer .

George Cire