HCFA Audiology Regulation

David G. Delage dgdelge at ix.netcom.com
Tue Apr 30 21:45:35 EST 1996

There is one thing that absolutely astounds me about the whole hearing
aid industry:

Forgive me for not having the exact numbers, but about 10% of the US
population would be helped by hearing aids, and only about 1/5 of
those people actually HAVE hearing aids.  I am amazed that people are
worried about competition within the industry.  Audiologists and
Hearing Aid Dealers need to work TOGETHER to grow the industry as a
whole, and THEN, when the market starts to get saturated (i.e. 75% or
more of the people who would be helped by hearing aids have them),
Hearing Aid Dealers and Audiologists (order reversed for fairness'
sake) can start clamoring for market share.

Nobody benefits from this competitive atmosphere, especially the
hearing handicapped.

-Dave