Meniere's - positive diagnosis?

Tom Boismier boismier at umich.edu
Thu Aug 1 07:03:32 EST 1996

In article <4tmbu7$dd4 at jeeves.tccn.com>, mweburg at tccn.com says...

>I can offer that Meniere's must cause a low frequency hearing loss.  I
>thought I had it, but doc ruled it out because my hearing loss is
>at high frequencies.

If you get a second opinion, you may indeed end up with a diagnosis of
Meniere's. It's a symptom-complex, and you don't need to have each and every
one of the symptoms to gain the diagnosis. That said, if you end up with any
of the other diagnoses in the same "hydrops" grouping as Meniere's, you should
get much the same treatment. Our routine is: low-salt, high-potassium diet
with 8 8oz glasses of water/day, then go to diuretics next, ablative surgery
as a last resort if attacks are intractable and a side has been localized.

Vestibular rehab is only appropriate if Meniere's attacks are at least 4-6
weeks apart, and there are significant motion-provoked symptoms between
attacks. Rehab will only impact the motion-provoked spells, and would not be
expected to affect the Meniere's attacks themselves.