Callling all CFY's

Spbraj spbraj at aol.com
Sun Aug 4 16:02:59 EST 1996

I think its a good idea for this forum. I recently completed my CFY. It
was not
the most diverse clinical experience but I'm glad I finished it and was
certified.
My question- point for others to consider- is the role of ethnicity in our
profession.
As ASHA has documented-the vast majority of audiologists come from the
majority culture i.e. Northern or Western European ancestry, monolingual
English
speakers with Anglo/Saxon Christian monikers. There are relatively few
audiologists from minority communites. I am a member of such a community,
and live in an area of the country where there is a large population of
non-
English speakers. I have found that members of the majority (dominant
community
as outlined above) have greater success in finding interesting jobs
quickly. (CFY
jobs). Once obtained, these professionals are able to advance quickly in
their
job settings. Indeed many of my colleagues from my university have been
able
to succeed as I described. However, members of the minority cultures have
struggled to find CFY's and often in less than desirable conditions.
Again, this has
been my observation. Many non English speaking patients are served by mono
lingual English speaking audiologists. Indeed, in my community, counseling

patients in their native language is frowned upon. Does this state of
affairs
in audiology merely reflect the overall cultural milieau of America?
(Members of minority groups and women with equal qualifications are almost
always paid less
than male members of the majority culture. Does being a member of the
majority
culture guarantee success and job satisfaction in the field of audiology?
Indeed
faculty members in audiology departments are almost exclusively members of
the majority culture. Would audiologists currently practicing in the field
recommend our profession as a viable entity to members of minority groups?

Or is the struggle to find employment in the real world setting too much
for prospective CFY candidates from minority groups?