Statistics

Tom Boismier boismier at umich.edu
Wed Aug 7 06:19:45 EST 1996

In article <4u7mr2$c8s at newsbf02.news.aol.com>, didance at aol.com says...

>Does anyone know of any statistics on onset of Tinnitus after
>stapendectomy?  I have a very mild ringing in my ears on occasion & am
>considering a revision stapendectomy.  I have heard various statistics on
>worsening of tinnitus or onset of tinnitus after surgery.

Surgical statistics vary widely from one hospital (and surgeon) to the next.
Variables include the patient population (i.e, if you're a large university
hospital, surgeons in private practice tend to send all their tough cases to
you, which by definition have a lower success rate), # of procedures done per
year, and the individual surgeon. The best method is to find out the
individual surgeons stats, the hospital's stats, and the state and/or
nationwide averages, then compare.