help on spelling

Jeffrey G. Sirianni sirianni at uts.cc.utexas.edu
Mon Aug 12 00:29:44 EST 1996

In article <01bb86b5$e780c880$169b6086 at phnjlie>, hnjlie at med-rz.uni-sb.de
says...
>Thinker <cac300z at cc.odu.edu> schrieb im Beitrag
><Pine.A32.3.91.960807161556.27088A-100000 at barbados.cc.odu.edu>...
>> Dear readers,
>>
>> My mother is stricken with a ringing in her ears. The spelling of her
>> condition sounds like "tonitis", but this must be inaccurate; would
>> anyone correct me please in the proper spelling. Thank you in advance-
>>
>>    Chris
>> Dear Chris
>the word you are looking for is Tinnitus which means psycoacoustically
>produced sounds of the ear which cannot be measured outside the ear canal.
>Joerg

Joerg,

Be careful there... Tinnitus can be classified into two main groups:

1. Subjective tinnitus: that being a perceived sound which cannot be
detected in the ear canal.  Most common, especially in persons with
sensorineural hearing loss.

2. Objective tinnitus: a perceived sound that CAN be detected in the
ear canal.  Includes bruits and myoclonus...

Jeff