hearing aid funding

Charles Michel cmichel at NETUSA1.NET
Tue Aug 13 22:54:07 EST 1996

I am a new CFY audiologist in Indiana, and I have recently met
quite an interesting patient.  He is a 2 1/2 year old child with the
maximum conductive hearing loss due to atresia.  He was wearing a bone
conduction hearing aid until it was lost by the baby sitter 1 month ago.

	Money is tight for mom (single parent w/ 3 children and two
jobs).  Currently, I am looking for some funding possibilities for the
family.  This is something that I have never had the opportunity to do
for a patient, and I want to give it my all.  I have already contacted
Hear Now in Denver for an application, but I really don't know where to
go from here.  Surely there are some organizations that would be willing
to sponsor this child who is without a doubt in need.

	Where have you had success in the past looking for funding for
"special" patients?  What organizations would you recommend contacting?
Any information passed on would be greatly appreciated.

	I also have some hearing aids in my office that I would like to
donate to a worthy charity.  I have some BTE's and ITE's in pretty darn
good shape, others are D.O.A.--but worth repairing.  I sent some to Hear
Now.  What are some other organizations that accept recycled hearing aid
donations? Should I keep the working ITE's for a "rainy day" and perhaps
recase them for an adult in need?

Please post responses as others may be needing the same information.

Thanks in advance,

Diana Sowers
Positive Results Therapy